GIS Technician / Analyst
Fibrus is the exciting new company bringing full fibre broadband to the homes and businesses of Northern Ireland. We are the most exciting telecommunications operator in Northern Ireland today and we are now expanding our operations to the North of England. With world class backing and management, Fibrus is building a world class team and will only recruit the best. By that we mean people with exceptional commitment & ability, and if you have experience in key areas, that’s great too.
This role is for someone who is looking to make a real investment in their career. You will be joining the team laying out the future of Fibrus. The structure of this team and their responsibilities will change as the company grows. This role demands tenacity and a commitment to deliver an exceptional customer experience. You will be rewarded with encouragement and support to learn and progress.
As a GIS Technician / Analyst you will be the business lead within the Fibrus organisation to update and maintain the information held on our GIS business systems. This position requires a high level of competency and multi-tasking capabilities. The candidate will be expected to hold a high level of ownership for their area of responsibility and be able to work autonomously with both internal and external stakeholders in the execution of their responsibilities
Newcastle – GB
You will be responsible for the following core areas and activities:
- Business lead for updating and maintaining the information held on our GIS business systems
- Maintaining and updating the NI premise data (pointer data) set used by the Fibrus business in the build of its telecoms network
- Resolving issues that arise between different data layers and opposing co-ordinate systems across the applications utilised in the business
- Liaising with external 3rd party technical resources (e.g. OSNI, ESRI & Openreach) to resolve any GIS compatibility issues
- Work collaboratively with our contractor partners to ensure that NISRANS Symology is being accurately reported to the Roads Authority all works in the public highway
- Producing survey maps to support the survey team, checking subsequent survey packs for completeness and alignment with the Network Plan.
- Publishing online maps and data which can be viewed and shared within the organisation or with the public.
- Survey areas that have incomplete or missing GIS or Telecoms Physical Infrastructure data
- Capturing asset data using a combination of paper-based mapping and tablets with ESRI ArcGIS software.
- Identifying asset types and dimensions and recording them accurately.
- Maintain up to data and accurate “As-Built” records of all network inventory from the Fibrus build programme
- Ordering digital mapping data
- Support with the upkeep and management of data used in Fibrus GIS products
You will have the ability to work with minimal supervision in a busy and fast paced environment
- The ideal candidate will come from a telecoms/GIS background with a minimum of two years planning experience and will have a GIS/CAD related qualification
- You will be experienced in the use of ESRI ArcGIS 10x and ArcGIS Pro, web GIS in ArcGIS Online/ Portal for ArcGIS and ArcGIS Server.
- Other open source GIS skills are also desirable.
- You will have experience in a variety of data sources and data formats and using FME, SQL and Python.
- Knowledge of Ordnance Survey suite of mapping products beneficial.
- You will have practical knowledge of interactive web-based GIS and/or enterprise GIS technologies.
- An understanding of Fibre Optics in a Telecoms environment would be a bonus
- Surveying or field-based data capture experience of any kind would be ideal
Key Competencies and Skills
- Highly numerate and literate, with excellent written and oral communication skills
- A self-motivated and highly professional team player with a flexible, yet structured approach
- Able to work on own initiative with a logical approach to problem solving
- A self-starter of graduate calibre, preferably with a business-related qualification
- Strong IT skills. Proficient in MS Office applications
- Ability to produce documentation which is precise and concise in content
- Confident in giving presentations and facilitating workshops to colleagues, clients and suppliers at all different levels of the business hierarchy
- Successful candidates will demonstrate enthusiasm and a desire to broaden their knowledge and experience and will continually develop GIS skills and demonstrate self- learning aptitude.
At Fibrus we recognise the positive value of diversity, promote equality and challenge unfair discrimination. We aim at all times to recruit the person who is most suited to the job and welcome people of all backgrounds. We particularly encourage applications from women, disabled and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates, as these groups are currently underrepresented in our business. We’re happy to discuss flexible working, however there is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to.
Fibrus Networks Ltd will retain your information, for the purposes of recruitment, for a period of up to 12 months. We may also share your information with our partner organisations for the purposes of recruitment. Please clearly note on your application if you wish us to delete your information rather than retain or share.