Fibre Planner - NI/GB
Fibrus is the exciting new company bringing full fibre broadband to the homes and businesses of Northern Ireland. We are the most exciting telecommunications operator in Northern Ireland today. With world class backing and management, Fibrus is building a world class team and will only recruit the best. By that we mean people with exceptional commitment & ability, and if you have experience in key areas, that’s great too.
As a Fibre Planner you will be working on new and existing design projects as Fibrus extends its network to the North of England. Working with the Planning Manager you will have responsibility for ensuring our design partners produce fibre designs that are compliant with our agreed network architecture guidelines and contain the necessary detailed information to ensure build and cost accuracy. Additionally, you will have the responsibility to ensure each area design yields the maximum number of premises passed possible within the cost guidelines for the project.
We need a self-motivated individual with a keen eye for detail, who can work both on their own and as part of a team, liaising with both engineers and senior staff.
The Role / Responsibilities
This role is ideal for someone with previous Fibre Planning and Fibre Design experience. Our Planning teams are responsible for design activities associated with Fibrus FTTP/Commercial and rural network design.
This role will focus on producing a technical design and authorising change control from existing plans and updating them as necessary which will contain enough detailed and validated information about a build area to give increased confidence in build and cost accuracy. You would be co-ordinating with our build team and our planning partners to update the necessary change on time so that our contractors’ network with minimal change and maximum efficiency. The role will also require ownership on build area by working on any changes to the design post the start of build.
The role will be a mix of office-based desktop design using GIS tools (ESRI) and in the field surveying work, walking routes and completing concept designs before turning these into technical network design packs. We are therefore keen to speak to those with an understanding of fibre and civils in FTTP builds, such as trench lines, prime cabinet locations and placements and the challenges faced with overcoming Special Engineering Difficulties (SEDs).
- A good appreciation or experience of Fibre Surveying and associated splicing and network understanding practicalities would be preferable however we will also consider those that have FTTH / FTTP related experience with a sound IT background.
- Knowledge of splitters and single mode fibre deployment.
- Integrate within the various departments within the business so that they will understand the processes involved from HLD/LLD/Construction Phase/Commissioning/Sales hand over/Customer Service Provision to drive consistency, quality, suitability and cost-effectiveness with every design and build.
- Production of reactive desktop designs and feasibilities to leverage new opportunities
- If necessary, produce construction & cabling work packages for internal and/or external teams
- Ensure that all works comply with guidelines and relevant codes of practice.
- Work with the Project Manager to deliver project work plans and revise as appropriate to meet changing needs
- Work closely with relevant stakeholders, internal, external, local authorities to ensure effective and efficient implementation of the infrastructure and react to any changes necessary
- Design and maintain accurate systems to support the planning process
The ideal person will come from a telecoms background coupled with extensive planning experience – previous experience working for a major UK telecom company would be an advantage.
You will contribute to the culture of curiosity, commitment and collaboration demonstrating how they reflect the following attributes:
- 3-5 years FTTP planning experience and current knowledge of associated passive network elements and optical budget limitations
- Solid understanding of PON type architectures
- Proven ability to design and create fit for purpose and cost-effective fibre optic networks to include topology layout, fibre splice plans, cable duct and routing
- Proven ability to complete a ‘concept’ (aspirational) design for walking the route/ joint survey with contractors
- Proven ability to complete a ‘technical’ (factual) design and pack for issuing for build
- Ability to interpret and translate a set of architectural guidelines into a set of design rules for our design partner
- Proven ability to carry out joint validation surveys with contractors to establish the most effective trench/fibre routes and chambers locations (based on cost, practicality and H&S etc)
- Detailed understanding of UK local and national authority regulations in respect to civil engineering works
- Detailed understanding and working experience of Wayleaves
- Good knowledge of Streetwork regulations
- Demonstrable experience in use of a range of GIS software e.g. QGIS
- Focused on delivering results
- Belief in the project
- Willingness to go the extra mile
- Thinking and reflecting about the project
- Team player
- Track record of achievement in any field
- Can demonstrate investment in your career development and progression
- Common sense approach
- Personality – interacts comfortably with other people
- Adaptive communication style
- Tenacity – will keep going until the job is done
At Fibrus we recognise the positive value of diversity, promote equality and challenge unfair discrimination. We aim at all times to recruit the person who is most suited to the job and welcome people of all backgrounds. We particularly encourage applications from women, disabled and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates, as these groups are currently underrepresented in our business. We’re happy to discuss flexible working, however there is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to.
Fibrus Networks Ltd will retain your information, for the purposes of recruitment, for a period of up to 12 months. We may also share your information with our partner organisations for the purposes of recruitment. Please clearly note on your application if you wish us to delete your information rather than retain or share.